Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Tax Return Time?

Ugh. My stomach is in knots over this tax return thing. I've got some options this year, and I'm not sure which is the best one....

1. I could file my own taxes as married filing separately, claim the kids and my education information and such just for financial aid purposes.

2. I could file a joint return with Cliff again this year, claiming both kids and cross my fingers and have faith (that I don't have much of) in him that he will truly put my banking information in and split the return with me. We did this last year and it worked out just fine. He did the bulk of the filing through one of the online programs, and then emailed me the link and the id/password information so I was able to verify that he had indeed included my information and was giving me exactly 50% of the amount due back.

This year, he has mentioned some "amazing tax chick, who can find loopholes like no other" and expects that we could get more back than last year.... which, considering I've been a full time student and he spent 6 months on deployment is entirely possible. But... I just don't know if I should trust him and cooperate on this level. How do I know that he will do what we agree on or he says he will? And really, what incentive does he have to do that?

Through a text message conversation I told him that I would be happy if he wanted to split the return 60/40. I realize he has been the one working, and while it irritates me to think he could get back a few grand mostly based on the child credits, this is really the only option I have to get back a decent amount of money that can potentially help get my household out of additional debt.

OR option 3. Allow Ron to claim Ashlyn and cross my fingers that this year he and Jill won't have to pay the IRS, and that she can somehow be convinced not to file her injunction paperwork so that any return they may be entitled to is garnished for his back child support. This option seems the best for Ron & I, I would benefit financially from his return and his arrears balance would be significantly lowered. But again, there are risks to this option.

I guess its all about picking which option has less risks and the most potential benefits. This will be the last year I really have these options, and I know I shouldn't use a tax return as earned money, or something to rely on... but it would really help after the year that I've had.

With that all out on the table, here are the ideas I have for a return if I'm given a portion:

1) Replacement battery for my laptop (would like to extend the lifespan of this thing a few years!)

2) New sewing machine

3) California drivers license/vehicle registration

4) Savings: $100 for Ashlyn, $100 for Dannon, $500 for Emergency Fund

5) Pay off Kohls credit card: $150

6) Payment plan for Chase credit card

7) Pay off/settle past due Verizon account: ~$500

8) Look into new CA auto insurance policy listing Bob & I, pay full 6 month premium.

There is so much more I would like to do/buy/pay off... but without knowing if there will be any return coming to me, or how much it might be, I don't want to dream too big here. I just want to keep track of my intentions and wants, once that *free* money is in my pocket (or bank account) its WAAAAAY too easy for me to get that itch and impulse not to be responsible and just blow it on fun things to do and wants.

Although, I really should include on my list a mini-vacation of some sort... Reno/Lake Tahoe or maybe back to San Francisco!

No comments:

Post a Comment