Thursday, November 1, 2012

21 Days to a Disciplined Life

Hello November!

Today, November 1st, I start my 21 day journey to a more disciplined life... following along with an ebook written by Crystal Paine @ MoneySavingMom.

I struggled with what my big project should be.  There are so many areas of my life that would benefit from some focus and discipline, and my prior attempts have always included thinking I could wake up one day and decide to change everything that I want to change.  Those attempts have all failed.  No matter how I have tried to keep myself accountable, it becomes overwhelming and easier to walk away.  It seems funny to sit at the computer this morning and type this out, because the area I have decided I need to work on first is limiting my time online.  I allow hours and hours each day to be sucked away by facebook, online window shopping, couponing and researching ideas/purchases to death.  My hope and plan for this time is to bring my focus back to my home and my family and quit wasting hours on the computer. 

When I talked with my wonderfully supportive honey about this, and how I thought that a 3 hour time cap would be a good place to start he showed me how I could set the timer on my phone for 3 hours each morning when I get on the computer and then toggle back and forth between pausing and resuming as necessary.  Easy as that I've got a plan, I've got my restrictions and I've got a way to track my time.  I think I will also set up a loose schedule for myself too... I know that I spend a good chunk of time each morning on the computer after getting breakfast for the boys, and putting Elijah down for his morning nap.  I look forward each day to this time in the mornings when I can drink my coffee, browse facebook, post items on Red Bluff Needs, etc.  We have also turned off my facebook notifications on my phone.  I can see how many notifications are there on the little icon, but I won't receive the actual notifications.  These darn smart phones are going to make this difficult!  The thing is, I would only be cheating myself and my family if instead of sitting in front of the computer I started to use my phone for more of these applications and purposes. 

I do think I should point out that at any given time I usually have 3 or 4 games of Words With Friends that I am playing on my phone.  Its a nice escape to hide in the bathroom for a few minutes and play a word.  (I don't think that should count against my "online time"  we can't get too picky here!)

I am anxious to see how these first few days go, I want to see how this one small change that might seem ridiculous to some people can have a big ripple effect into other parts of our lives.  I always say I want to be this productive, on top of things kind of person but I just lack the motivation.  I don't know that this change will PROVIDE me with motivation in those areas, but it will sure free up some time and hopefully with that time I will be able to keep the house a little neater, do some more projects with the kiddos, be more active with my health and fitness and reconnect with Bob, who deserves more of my focused attention than he has been getting. 

PS--Fall FINALLY appears to be here to stay!

-{ Today I am thankful for my supportive boyfriend.  I am blessed beyond words to have him in my life!}-

1 comment:

  1. You are an amazing woman and I am proud to be here for you.

    ReplyDelete